Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Natural Beauty

I am becoming ever fonder of the chickens. They follow me around the chicken yard making all kinds of different endearing noises. They still get a little freaked out when I try to pet them, but I'm working on it.
I love the bright stripey reds and greens of the lettuces and onions in the field.
Wednesday we seeded the most beautiful corn.
These corn seeds with their yellows, reds, blues and ones with swirly mixtures of colors --I want to string them and wear them around my neck they are so pretty.
We grow it for cornmeal which is made right here, with an antique I'm told--I can't wait to see it.

The potato planter is older too and it's a funny sight to see it hitched up to a newer tractor.
Yes, this is the potato planter I was pulling while driving the new tractor (again, my first time behind the wheel of any tractor.) Below is a visual of my wavy row--fortunately the photo is small it's not that obvious. Doesn't look that bad, right?
Yesterday I got to ride behind a tractor most of the day as we laid plastic mulch in the field, which is a great help with weed control.
All in all it was a very productive, entirely gorgeous week. I feel blessed to be surrounded by all this natural beauty. We're in full green swing here now, becoming more lush progressively always. All the blooming trees make the air fragrant and sweet, it's lovely to just close your eyes and breathe. Birds swoop around and sit on the fence and sing songs. It's picturesque all around me and my senses are filled with wonder.

While I am usually covered in dirt. (Yes, covered.) I may not look my best, but trying to do my small part working to keep our home planet just a bit more beautiful and sustainable makes me happy. Happier than finding a cute outfit to wear to office work ever did. Much.
I'm off to see friends and family this weekend again...
So, for now, I will leave you with these cows. Don't they look like nice cows? Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment