Thursday, April 28, 2011

Slow, Chilly and Waiting

For all of you Buster fans out there--he's adjusting just fine.

Not much has been going on at the farm since Monday. It's been cold and rainy since then and this morning I walked out of the granary into a flurry of snow, which baby plants aren't real fond of. Honestly the rest of us are ready for some warmth too. My living quarters (the granary) are not heated--and my farm family has generously offered to let me stay in the farm house these past weeks, but I want to stick out out here. I wear layers to bed (including hat and mittens) covered in 5 trusty blankets I have slept just fine. I even dare to say I'm getting used to the cold (while still inviting the warm weather.) All part of the fun.

The past few days I've been working on creating a searchable archive of all the recipes from the farm's newsletter for the past 8 years. It should be a wonderful resource for the members of the CSA, or for anyone who lives in the upper Midwest who is a member of a CSA or those who would just like a locally grown, seasonal cookbook. I, myself, am pretty excited to try a lot of the recipes--I'll put up the link to it once it's complete.

Yep, the most excitement I've seen around here in the last few days is from the chickens. They start clucking before the coop door is open, and when it is, they are hungry and raring to go. It doesn't take long to figure out how their name was slandered. Brave, they are not. They are funny and fun to watch, and I'm sure the breakfasts and baking they'll support this summer will be nothing short of yum.
Since it's been cold and wet so late into the Spring, it sounds like we'll really have to hit the ground running when the good weather comes. I'm looking forward to it.

I've been taking the opportunity of this lull to drive around the area a bit after work and listen to my new friends' advice on great places to visit here.

For instance: Laura Ingalls Wilder's cabin is nearby, as is Caddie Woodlawn's. There is local pottery in Downsville. Two cheese factories, one only about 5 miles away in Eau Galle and another in a place called Katie (I'm not sure if that's how it's spelled.) I want to bike the Red Cedar River Trail, explore the Tiffany Bottoms and fish all the streams around here--Nugget Lake too. We're right at the edge of the Driftless Zone of Wisconsin here. Apparently one of the glaciers hit us and the other missed us--so it's pretty unique. I've heard there are good local wool/yarn sources too (oh boy.)

It just seems like there is always so much to see and do, no matter where you are. In every place that I have lived, whenever I tell someone I lived in such and such a place I will inevitably be asked about a portion of it or near it that I have never even heard of, and always wish I had. I am immediately followed by the desire to go and check it out for myself.

I don't move around a lot (I think, though some may beg to differ.) And I'm no world traveler by many people's standards--though I love hearing stories and seeing pictures about visits to far away places and cultures. But more than that--I love listening to people who have lived in one place for much of their lives because it's a place that they love. A place that they chose, that they are proud of, because they love it and feel a connection to it. City, country, state, country.... heck even suburb. I may not fall in love with the place myself, but one's passion for it I can't help but glow with respect for.

I can tell there is love for the place I am now and am fast learning why.
Despite the cold, it is beautiful and bountiful and the people I've recently come to know are good, good people. I'm sure of it.

It will warm up soon--I'm sure of that too.

For now the plants are safe in their greenhouse, the chickens, in their coop and Buster and I in the granary--just waiting.













Some of you have been inquiring as to how big my buddy/guardian Oscar really is--I tried to take a few photos of us together for a sense of scale--I'll do a better job soon.


2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to check out the recipe collection, too! Can anyone access it?

    and pretty pretty Wisconsin... You're gonna have such a great time exploring... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your blog Kara! You're busy, but hopefully we can have a lunch, coffee, or dinner date eventually in Menomonie. You're awesome!

    Anna

    p.s. It's Cady cheese

    ReplyDelete