Thursday, February 8, 2018

Begin Again

I have been mostly absent from this space for years and I feel it is time to try to return here.  A partner to a hardworking, strong-loving man and father and a mom of two littles, today I feel like I have life under control (there are leftovers ready for dinner.) Tomorrow I may not, but I want to try and be present inside my mind every day, or at least a few times a week.  I want to record the things my children say and do in these rapidly passing days, because I know I will not remember them.

Lorraine, my second, sweet girl, has the joy of her namesake, Great-Grandma in her soul.  She is strong and outgoing like her too.  Bea astounds me constantly, she is a creative original, independent and full of love.  I am so lucky, to have these girls--these powerful girls to help lead me into a better world, a better time.

I have often said that I was born in the wrong decade.  I love domesticity.  I love to knit, to sew, to bake, to garden.  But I am wrong and so fortunate to be alive to be in place where my gender is gaining ground towards equality every day.  My interests are my hobbies, my rights are my freedom.  I have daughters.  I wish for them.  I wish for them to feel equal to others--all others, because they are.  No one is better than they are, they are not better than anyone else.  Thank you Cathrine Johnson for this gift of a beautifully simple lesson to give them, and to give myself as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment